Emma Rinard is a world-traveler and multidisciplinary writer, who is passionate about living holistically. She knows first hand the importance of organic products in living a healthy lifestyle and hopes to raise awareness in others by contributing to HomeOrganic. She endeavors to write in a way that inspires others to take the reins of their own life and to thrive.
The Many Uses of Coconut Oil
The benefits of coconut oil have been documented for nearly 4000 years, with different cultures using it for foods, as well as for its healing properties. Many people continue to use coconut oil today in these exact ways, and it has also shown to benefit both our skin health and our hair health. As with most things, there are coconut oil options that are both organic or non organic. Making the decision to choose organic coconut oil will be the best decision you can make for your skin and hair needs, and you can find the best products below!
Coconut Oil for Skin Health
If you haven’t already tried coconut oil on your skin, you’ll want to after discovering all of the amazing benefits of doing just that. Coconut oil is known to be deeply nourishing, so it can be used for many different skin needs. Here is how organic coconut oil may benefit your skin:
- Dry or chapped lips: coconut oil is great for hydrating your lips! In the cold wind of the winter, oftentimes we run into very painful and chapped lips. Applying coconut oil can be an easy, and cheaper way, than purchasing lip balm.
- Eczema: coconut oil can also be used to improve some symptoms of eczema. Many people live with this skin condition, and it can be painful and uncomfortable to have. Coconut oil can nourish the skin, and it also has antimicrobial properties that kill unhealthy bacteria that may be on the skin.
- Makeup remover: coconut oil can be used as a way to remove makeup. It can break up the makeup particles if you warm it into a liquid and gently put it on your face, focusing more on areas with heavier makeup application. The makeup will melt right off!
- Cracked cuticles: coconut oil can also be applied to those painful, peeling cuticles that usually show up in the winter or if you work a job where you have to wash your hands constantly after doing a task. Massaging this oil into your cuticles can help repair the damage done by all that soap or dry weather!
Coconut Oil for Hair Health
Organic coconut oil can be a great product to implement into your hair routine, too. Everyone has different hair needs, and chances are, you may find something that can help you with yours. Here are some of the possible benefits of adding coconut oil into your hair routine:
- Minimizes dandruff: adding a scoop of coconut oil to saturate your roots can immensely benefit your scalp health. It can help maintain good bacteria on your scalp, while also moisturizing your skin and reducing inflammation that may be the cause of that pesky skin condition that will not seem to go away.
- Moisturizing: many people choose to use coconut oil as a hair mask to lock in the moisture and to tame frizz. By applying to hair for a few hours, or even overnight, and washing it out, your hair may feel and look much healthier, while also creating a barrier to protect your hair from damage by sealing the hair cuticles shut. Organic coconut oil will penetrate your hair shaft well due to the fatty acids and vitamins contained in the oil, unlike many other oils that may be used for hair.
- Tames frizz: adding a thin layer of coconut oil to your hands and lightly rubbing it into your hair may also be a great way to tame some of those fly-aways and frizz that you cannot seem to get laying down flat.
The Best Organic Coconut Oil
Before you purchase any organic coconut oil, whether for skin or hair, make sure it is USDA certified organic, or of natural origins, as well as “cold-pressed” or “unrefined.” These kinds of organic coconut oil retain the natural antioxidants and vitamins that expeller pressed, or refined coconut oil does not contain anymore. If you want all of the amazing health benefits for your skin and hair, choosing cold-pressed or unrefined will always be the best choice for you.
- Vita Coco Coconut Oil: This organic coconut oil is highly rated, cold-pressed, and a great budget option for USDA certified organic oils. Vita Coco coconut oil can be purchased from Amazon here.
- Juka’s Organic Co. Coconut Oil: This is both unrefined and cold-pressed, and sold in glass jars. It is 100% virgin, and 100% natural origins, hand-selected from women in Africa who are preserving the traditional way of extracting coconut oil. This option is also inexpensive, and known to be great for hair and skin nourishment.
- Mountain Rose Herbs Unrefined Coconut Oil: This unrefined, cold-pressed coconut oil is certified organic, and comes with different size options depending on if you are purchasing in bulk or in smaller quantities.
Choose Coconut Oil for Your Hair and Skin
Coconut oil has been extracted from the “meat” of coconuts and used for incredible things. Used in both amazing dishes and for cosmetic use, this is a great, healthy, and natural option for anyone looking to treat their dry skin or damaged hair. The three options listed above are some great ones to choose from when picking which will benefit your hair and skin the most. Unrefined and cold-pressed coconut oil tend to come with a full coconut aroma, leaving your hair and skin smelling amazing after applying. The more natural and traditionally it is expelled from the coconut, the healthier the oil is for you, and the more improvements you will begin to see after applying to your skin and hair. Improvements to dry and chapped skin can be felt immediately, and with a little bit of time and effort when applying it to your hair, you will fall in love with the results that will come soon after.